Monday, June 30, 2008

At Last...


For over 20 years now, I have passed by these tree 'remains' on Hwy. 17 and wanted to photograph them. I think they are simply beautiful and they have always spoken to me on many levels. I think mainly they speak to me on my 7 year old-self level, that part of me that is the little girl who grew up near the coast, liked to get in the car and just ride -- windows rolled down, the smell of the road on a hot day at her nose, always with her hands out the window riding the wind...

Yes, this is the part of me that these trees talk to...this is a part of me that remains still.

It's the part of me that chooses back country roads, Rural towns, home-grown tomatoes, salty marsh breezes, watermelons on the side of the road for a few dollars, the beach over lakes, farmer's markets, live local music, windows rolled down in the car with my hand out the window riding the wind.

2 comments:

suzanne said...

oh, it means even more to me now to have this beautiful print hanging in my teeny studio space. not only does it remind me of savannah and all her lovely memories she holds in my heart - but of my good friend, g, and all the inspiration she brings to my world. many thanks and much love to you g. xoxox

Lek said...

You know what's crazy? I remember when these trees on 17 South were alive and then killed. I've always wanted to photograph them, too, and finally did a couple of years ago, but from afar. I need to get in there closer and reshoot. This part of coming to Charleston always lets me know I'm almost home. I also dig the brine in the summer air - I roll down the windows just to get a whiff! So glad you're posting your work here!